Pages

Wednesday, May 09, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things

 I did this painting over the last couple days.  There wasn't any "story" behind it; I just chose a few images I liked and went from there.  As I was working, I kept thinking of the song, "These Are a Few of My Favorite Things" from "The Sound of Music" (one of my favorite movies, by the way!), thus the title of this post.

 I tried out some fluorescent pink paint to add a pop of color.  I think I like it!

 The little word in the middle is "echoes".  We often call Avery a little echo, because she mimics everything the boys say.  And I guess I'd like her to be a little echo of me as well, and like these same things that I like!

 However, our little echo isn't feeling so well these days.  She is spending the day cuddled in front of "My Little Pony" and "Dora" while she finishes up a cold...

It also explains why I was able to work on a painting.  Kimla asked me in the comments last week how I find time to do artwork, so I thought I'd take a minute and answer here, since other mommies out there may be wondering, too.

Over the years, my schedule has changed around, depending on what age my kids are.  In the past, when they were all preschool-aged and younger, I was very strict about naptime/quiet-time.  They were all required to take a nap in the afternoon, and even if they didn't actually nap, they still needed to stay in their rooms and play or read quietly.  During that time, I considered it "me" time.  I didn't clean or do chores- I did what I wanted to do.  Honestly, most days it meant catching up on reality TV on my DVR (shhh, don't tell anyone!), but some days I would do art.

Now that Riley is in kindergarten, my schedule has changed.  I pick Noah up from school at 1:00 and Riley at 3:00.  Both boys really are too old for naps now, and I feel bad making them go in their rooms when they are gone for most of the day as it is.  So my "me" time has changed to Tuesday and Thursday mornings, when Avery goes to preschool.  Sometimes I choose to go thrifting on those days, and sometimes I choose to do art on those days.  Yesterday (Tuesday), Avery stayed home sick, but as you see above, she really just wanted to rest and watch TV, so I let her do that while I painted in the next room.

So, as you can see, I always make sure I've got some "me" time worked into my schedule.  As a rule, I tend to do things like cleaning while I'm taking care of the kids.  They don't need my undivided attention while we're home, so I'd rather do cleaning while they're around vs. do it during my free time.  I'm actually a pretty selfish person (ha ha!), so I'm very protective of anything eating into that time!!

I hope that helps, Kimla, or anyone else who wondered the same thing!


8 comments:

Musings from Kim K. said...

Fabulous art. Your use of color is really striking against the vintage images. Sticking to a schedule for some relatively uninterrupted "me" time is so important. Good for you for making it happen. I hope Avery is on the mend.

PS. Her hairbow and sandals are so darn cute.

Erica of Golden Egg Vintage said...

I love the hot pink that you put into your painting...it's a great piece!
Thank you for sharing how you juggle your time. I don't have kids yet, but I have a fear that I won't have any time for my art or thrifting, etc. How selfish does that sound??? lol

Daniele Valois said...

oh I adore this painting Corey! It is wonderful! Wonderful!

I love hearing about your getting your time in. I am pretty selfish as well.

I just read your last comment and smiled when you mentioned summer time and keeping them busy... You know my olders are now 10 and nearly 12, and Paige nearly 3...oh me! I've come up with a plan, certain to keep us all happy, crazy busy, lots of swimming, and then come home and everyone is so worn out I can happily let them veg in front of movies while I get to make art! Then I guess feeding them too. hehe. I think there must be a way to make us all happy!!! As long as I get my me time, I can do it! :D

vintage grey said...

Oh, I love this one!! Especially that sweet kitty!! So sorry sweet Avery is feeling well. Hope she gets better soon!! xo Heather

kimla said...

Thank you so much for the detailed response, Corey! You are right to be "selfish." I'm beginning to realize that I may lose my mind if I don't start becoming a little more selfish. Key words from your post: protect the me time. So true. Your favorite things painting is so lovely, so amazing. Love the pop of pink and your images. Maybe in the future (I'm hoping!) that you will be able to sell some of your work. Thanks again!

kimla said...

Not to be a pest...but do you use original images or copies? If copies, a certain kind of paper? Thanks so much. Food for thought: if there is no interest in selling originals, what about selling prints of your work on etsy? I would so be into that. :-)

My Vintage Mending said...

I think the importance of mom time is to maintain a tiny bit of self. I learned that the hard way. Your paintings are so literal...This looks perfectly Avery. Kitty and all. Smiles..Renee

Corey said...

Kimla, I will answer your questions in an upcoming post!